Monday, October 3, 2011

Wide and Long and High and Deep

Today was a difficult day for me.  When we got to the hospital, we learned that Jude's white blood cell count had increased as well as his CRP.  He had a fever as well.  An hour or so later, we saw that his wound was leaking...for the first time in four or five days.

The plastic surgeon who has been following up on Jude's wound is out of town for at least a week.  I have felt apprehensive about that.  The Lord had to remind me today that it is not the surgeon I am to trust in.  He may be talented, but he is a man.  It is the Lord who gave him those gifts and it is He who will heal Jude.

We don't know when his surgery will be.  He has not looked as well the last few days as he did last week.  So, it will not be tomorrow.  The cardiologists and surgeon will discuss him tomorrow, and we will hopefully know more soon.

As we continue to wait and sit at the bedside of our sweet, sick little baby, the Lord continues to work in our hearts.  I felt a significant need for church tonight, and the Lord blessed me there.  This well-known verse struck me when it was read during worship:

"For this reason I kneel before the Father,
from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you
with power through his spirit in your inner being,
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.
And, I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
may have power together with all the saints,
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
and to know this love that surpasses all knowledge -
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do
immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us,
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,
for ever and ever!  Amen." 

Ephesians 3: 14-21

Brandon started reading King's Cross by Tim Keller.  When he was reading it aloud to Jude tonight, this jumped out at me:  

"Jesus says, 'Follow me.  I'm going to take you on a journey, and I don't want you to turn to the left or the right. I want you to put me first;  I want you to keep trusting me; to stick with me, not turn back, not give up, turn to me in all the disappointments and injustices that will happen to you.  I'm going to take you places that will make you say, 'Why in the world are you taking me there?'  Even then, I want you to trust me."

Please pray that we will trust Him.
Please pray that we will in every way let this journey lead us into His arms.
Please pray that we will grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.
Please continue to pray for our baby's healing and for the Lord's will to be done in his life and ours.  Thank you so much.  

6 comments:

Corrie said...

I don't know if you'll remember me, Mandy, but we met a long time ago at Westminster PCA. The DelaGardelles shared a link to you a while back on Facebook and I have been following your story. My heart breaks for your sweet boy, and I am so humbled by your persistence in keeping your eyes on Christ in this really difficult time. I am praying for each of you and hope with all of my heart that the Lord will heal baby Jude. Love, Corrie

Andrea Bullok said...

Continuing to pray for Jude and you and Brandon. Praying the fever and leaking would go away so that he can have the surgery! Jude's story continues to reinforce what God is teaching me in other areas - He is big enough to heal Jude, He is good, and He loves us! Thank you for continuing to shine your light to all of us. May God draw you still nearer to Him as you wait and hope.

Ian Ray said...

Lord,

Today I pray for Caleb. Oh Father, I know he misses Mom and Dad terribly, and vice versa. Father, please give Caleb strength. Comfort him and surround his heart and mind with Your peace. I pray that You would anoint Grandma and Grandpa to care for him in such a special way that his loneliness will subside. Oh God, please reunite Brandon, Mandy, Caleb and Jude soon. Thank you so much for the gift of family. Especially we thank you for our children. Please surround them with Your holy angels, protect them, and grant them wisdom and grace by Your Spirit to grow to know You and love You with all their heart. God, I pray that You heal the aching in Brandon and Mandy’s heart for Caleb. Comfort them as they long deeply for him. Oh Father, I ask that each of us would long for You as much as Mandy and Brandon long for Caleb. Oh, that our hearts would ache for you. Deliver us from spiritual apathy. I praise You for Your goodness, Your power and Your might. In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen.

We love you.

Ian and Family

Jen said...

Love you sweetie. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Wish you were home so we could all help you out.

Liz and Phil said...

Brandon and Mandy, been praying for you all lots today. Praying for healing, praying for strength, praying for peace, praying for sweet moments together, praying for the power of God in and through your lives. We love you and so encouraged by your faith, your struggle in faith, and God's work in your lives. We Love, Love, Love you all!!!!

Sarah Hammitt said...

Thinking of you........Praying for endurance as you wait! xo

Post a Comment