Monday, October 17, 2011

Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation

The second morning of Jude's life, he was diagnosed with Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC).  It is essentially what led to the bleeds on his brain.  I didn't write about it when it was happening because I didn't understand it.  I still don't...really.

But, I am being forced to understand it better now, as it seems that Jude is in DIC again.  This time, it is a more mild state of DIC...but it is concerning.

DIC occurs when small blood clots are formed inside the blood vessels all throughout the body. Because those blood clots use up all the platelets and proteins, the blood doesn't clot like it should and bleeding occurs.  In Jude's case, the bleeds happened in his brain.  Currently, the doctors don't believe that he is at risk for similar bleeds.

So, Jude can't keep his platelets up because his body is consuming them.  And, because of the numerous transfusions he has been getting lately, it seems that he might be developing antibodies to the donors' platelets.  A test has been sent out and we will hopefully know soon.  I have no idea what treatment might be if that is the case.

Apparently, this too can lead to kidney failure.  Jude had to go back on dialysis tonight because he wasn't peeing enough fluid off.  He swelled significantly today.  We also learned that he has a urinary tract infection.  Poor little guy. 

Our precious baby is really, really sick.  There are so many complicated issues, and they all affect one another.  As you can imagine, we are struggling.  It's so painful to see our little man like this.  Please continue to pray for us. 

We still don't know what our future holds...what Jude's future holds.  But, we know the One who does.  We know the One who holds the future...and our baby...in His very capable, very loving hands. 

Tonight at church, we sang the song The Solid Rock.  The lyrics go, "On Christ the solid rock we stand.  All other ground is sinking sand."  Jesus is our rock.  Jesus is our firm foundation.  And, He is with us in this storm.

The Solid Rock

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

Refrain
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain

6 comments:

amyfaith said...

Praying for Jude and you all. Knowing the Lord loves you and praying for His comfort to surround you.
love and prayers from colorado.

Bethany said...

we are praying for Jude, Caleb and you guys, too! much love and prayers coming from Wichita, KS!

Anonymous said...

One of my friends posted a link to your blog on her FB. I am AMAZED by your faith and your strength! I'm here to bring you a little more hope. My son was born weighing only 1lb and 14oz. He spent 9 long months in the NICU. He has a g-tube. He also never came off of a ventilator. He received a trach & is on a portable home vent. He has severe bpd and his lungs are weak. We have survived 9 code blues, sezires, blood & bone infections...ect, ect. We pray and we swear we saw miracles happen. Our son is still very ill but he's got a good prognosis. He eats plays and is even standing up on his own. Sure he's behind...but he's so much further than we ever thought he'd be. Your in my prayers!

Laura Dexter-Mooty said...

Still lifting you all up in prayer to our mighty God. Hang in there...one day at a time.

Anonymous said...

"He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases." Matthew 8:17

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, Abba, Father. The spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." Romans 8:15-17

God is on His throne. Rest in him, dear ones!
Elizabeth

Kate said...

I, also, was led to your blog after reading it on a friends facebook wall. I am encouraged by your faith and trust in the Lord, as I pass through a dark season of life, having lost our little girl who was born to us at 18 weeks gestation. Thank you for reminding me daily of the Solid Rock on which I stand, for the truth of the gospel and of God's love. As cliche as it sounds, he does have a plan and I can trust in His goodness. I will continue to pray for your precious babies, Jude and Caleb. May you have strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow!

Post a Comment