Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Celebrations @ One Week

We have been beginning each day by praying together.  We never know what the day will bring, and we have never felt a greater need for the Lord.  Today brought many reasons to celebrate.

Jude's birthday was today!
He is one week old.  Too many times did we think we wouldn't be here, so we thought it necessary to have a little celebration.  Caleb picked out for him a turtle nightlight like the one he sleeps with...though he thought it would be a good idea if they "do a trade."  He also picked out a card for him with a truck...upon which he drew two guys holding swords.  It has been fun to see him start to care more about his little brother with whom he has yet to really spend time with.

He did great on a respirator test!
The doctors did an experiment to see how he would do breathing on his own.  He performed wonderfully!  There are no immediate plans to take him off the tubes because of the upcoming heart surgery, but it is great to know that he would probably do fine.  Most importantly, it shows that the part of the brain that controls his breathing is working really well.  Big news.  :-)

His right eye is improving!
The hematoma that they performed the surgery on was exerting so much pressure on his right eye, that they thought it would never work.  It didn't respond to light and it seemed that it would be a long-term problem.  Now, however, it responds beautifully.  It is still sluggish in comparison to his left eye, but it is improving. 

We are going to Presbyterian tomorrow!
He is being transported back to his birthplace tomorrow.  I will ride with him in the ambulance.  What a blessing it is to be in a city where there is a wonderful hospital for neurosurgery down the street from another hospital famous for its cardiologists.  Our memories at Pres are not very happy ones, and so we are hoping to make some new ones.

They took him off the Dopamine today!
A few days ago, I asked you to specifically pray for his blood pressure...which was so unstable and very dependent on Dopamine to regulate it.  This morning, when we went in, it was down to 5.  Several hours later, it looked like this:

They had turned it off!  We never imagined we would see that!  Though tonight he had to have it turned back on, we are still rejoicing for where he was today.  It has been amazing to see our little boy improve daily.  He still has a long road ahead of him, as the doctors are always reminding us.  But, our Father has given us this promise:

So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

20 comments:

Kellie said...

Rejoicing with you!

Debbie (Muncie) said...

"Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour."
Matthew 15:28
Continually praying...

Kelly said...

Mandy,

Reading your story reminds that we serve an incredible Lord. Thank you for the picture and faith and vulnerability you exude in these entries. I can only imagine the roller coaster ride that Brandon and you are on, but the truth is that I have never been brought to a place of wrestling with my own children as you both have. Thank you for allowing me to engage in your pain and your joy! Thank you for allowing someone like me to rejoice with you. Today, as Jude goes back to Pres. I will pray for his continued improvement and for your strengthened faith. Please know that you are such a beautiful picture of the Gospel, and I pray that the Lord uses you for His glory.

Thank you Jesus for this precious family!

Melisa said...

I heard about your situation through a friend on facebook and have been praying for Jude and your family along with the other requests you have mentioned. You and your family are an inspiration to me. All the love and support is unbelievable. I will keep praying and can't wait to see a picture of his smiling face on her one day soon.
God Bless

Anonymous said...

So many milestones...so much good news! God is amazing on how he designed our bodies! Still praying for the next phase of your journey - may he grant you peace, comfort, strength and much more JOY!

Laura Dexter-Mooty said...

Didn't mean to click the annoymous button....still praying!

Bethany said...

Thank you, Jesus, for so many good things! I will pray for you all as you return to Pres; what a testimony to God's goodness your little boy already is... happy birthday, Jude!

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Mandy and Brandon, we have been thinking about you and praying for you constantly over the past week. I have tears of joy reading this update.
Julie has had a string of rough nights recently, but I've loved having the time awake at night to be able to pray for Jude and speak words of life over him. I've felt particularly impressed to pray over his mind. Over and over again I've been thinking about the verses:
God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7;
For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. 1 Cor 2:16
And, 'How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them.' Psalm 139:17

I've just been praying over Jude that he has been given a sound mind and that he would have the mind of Christ. As you are spending time singing to him and reading scripture over him, I pray that those words would fill his mind and that he would know God's thoughts and love for him at this very young age.
Lots of love and hugs to you!

Jen said...

Watching you and your family has only showed me how much I lack in my faith. I hope you don't mind but I will continue to watch and learn from you. Love Aunt Jenny PS and keep praying :-)

kbaugues said...

Pelton Family,

Thank you so much for sharing your stories! I came across your blog through a friend of mine who asked to keep your family in our prayers. Since then, my husband and I have been checking to see how Baby Jude is doing. Your family's faith and trust in the Lord amazes me. We had twins born early and were in the NICU for 6 weeks. Throughout that time, we were able to praise Him for the blessings we received, and prayed to Him when we needed something, but never put TRUST in Him, that everything is in His hands, not ours. Thank you so much for demonstrating TRUE faith. Baby Jude, and all your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your story with everyone and may God continue to hold you in the palm of His hand.

Diana Maldonado Tiscareno said...

Amigos muchas gracias por permitirnos conocer a Jude!! no esperabamos tanto,solo queriamos estar cerca por si algo se ofrecia. Gracias tambien por darnos la oportunidad de pasar tiempo con Caleb la pasamos muy bien, sobretodo Luca que ya quiere verlo de regreso en la escuela.
Estamos muy agradecidos por su amistad y por la confianza, seguimos orando por el pequenio que ya Gracias DIOS tiene una semana FELICIDADES JUDE te queremos!
mandamos un abrazo GRANDE y FUERTE a unos padres maravillosos y besos a los hermanitos :)

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I am a friend of Chrissy's. She has told me about you guys and I have been earnestly praying for you all. My heart is with you. I am so encouraged to hear of Jude's progress. Getting off a dopamine is a huge deal and it sounds like his neuro status is improving. I work in the PICU at UNMH and I never cease to be amazed at how much the little ones can bounce back from. Hang in there. Know that you are loved and in the hearts of many, even those you have yet to meet. Melissa Belluomini

Liz said...

These are SUCH wonderful things to celebrate! And Mandy you are such a celebrator, I love that God chose you as Jude's Mommy! Miss being able to celebrate with you, but know that The WAshburns are celebrating and continuing to pray often for and with you guys! PS. we went to the zoo today and when we saw the Koala's we all missed Caleb very much!!!! Hugs to you all.

Laini said...

Happy One Week Birthday Jude! I pray for a safe journey for you today in the ambulance with your mommy. I pray for peace, for sleep, for wisdom for your doctors and nurses. I'm praying for your big brother Caleb too!

Holly said...

"Though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet." Renee reminded me of this today. And it's sooo true. We're trusting Him with everything here. Not the doctors or the medications, although they help... but it's He who sustains Jude and your family. :) Like I told you on the phone, it's His steadfastness and sovereignty we pray you will rest on, not the shifting opinions of the medical field or even Jude's progress (although we are rejoicing at this news.) Love you friend.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I am amazed and so grateful! Planning to come by as soon as we get back! God is so good! Love y'all!! Chrissy

Karen said...

Mandy, I wanted to encourage you and I am instead humbled by your shining gratitude for seconds and minutes and simply being. Thank you for the reminder of Isaiah 41:10. Joy flows through the tears and the pain. Happy Birthday Jude!!

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

Oh, precious woman of God. I am rejoicing with you over these great accomplishments and all that God has done in this first week of Jude's life. Although far away in distance, close with you in heart and constantly lifting you up to our Father. I think back to our first point of contact - 1 Cor. 13 on the message board in the dorm... I give a piece to you again, even as you are living it with every breath right now: Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. So thankful we serve the One who loves like this and upholds us in times when anxiety and fear want to break in. Hugs across the miles, dear one! I love you, and I cling to God for all He is doing in and through you and your sweet, precious family!

-rachel

julie wolfe said...

Julie Wolfe
Praying for you during this time!God is in control and he hasn't forgotten you! I will continue to ask people in my life that I know pray to pray! May God give you extra strength during this time.

Matt said...

Sounds like Caleb is becoming a good big brother!

Post a Comment