Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Roadside Americana



When I was a kid, I was so blessed to get to see so much of our amazing country on road trips with my family. And it's funny that what I remember most about those trips isn't the amazing destinations we were driving towards (such as the Grand Canyon and Glacier National Park) but instead it was all the random little stops along the way (such as Wall Drug, Custer's Last Stand, Dodge City, KS). As I have gotten older, I have realized that for me, the journey is as important as the destination. When we travel, Brandon often humors me by letting me stop and see things I find interesting. And living in the Southwest, I have become fascinated by Route 66.





On the first leg of our month-long travels, we stopped at Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo. It is a really interesting old landmark on Route 66. We had driven by it before, and I was eager to get out of the car this time and go see it. So, we planned it (because Brandon needs planning). But, after leaving the warm Las Cruces weather that morning, I couldn't handle the 15 degree (below 0 wind chill) weather outside of Amarillo...and barely got a picture of the place. My fingers hurt too much. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment